It all started when I visited Bulk Barn about 2 weeks ago to buy a few items for a Piña colada Upside Down Cake I wanted to make for a family BBQ. I stumbled on a great deal while scanning my way through the shelves. Callebaut white chocolate couverture chips at wait for it… $.99c for a bag. Probably around 250grams in a bag – i didn’t measure. So with no plans on what to do with them, i bought 2 bags. You didn’t think i was going to buy just 1 did you?
Flash forward to a few days ago. Getting set for a road trip to Montreal, I wanted to make something sweet for the trip and I remembered the white chocolate chips and also an unopened pack of Oreo cookies tucked somewhere in the pantry. Enter Oreo White Chocolate Chip Muffins!
The name says it all! Just like the popular old pringles ad – “once you pop you can’t stop”. Once you bite in, you just cannot stop. My sister had one bite and the next thing she was on her third muffin asking why I made just 8. Suffice it to say, we had just 2 muffins left for the trip by the next day.
And what is so great about this recipe is that it is so adaptable. You can switch it up however you like. Think dried cranberries and nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts), blueberries and milk chocolate chip… The possibilities are limitless!!
So lets bake!
Oreo White Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes: 8 Regular sized Muffin
Bake time: 35 mins
Flour – 1 ½ Cups
Sugar – 2 Tablespoons
Honey – ¼ Cup
Water – ¼ Cup
Egg yolks – 2
Oil – ¹⁄³ Cup
Yogurt – ½ Cup ( I used Greet yogurt)
Almond Milk – ¼ Cup ( Feel free to use any other milk)
Baking Powder -½ Teaspoon
Baking Soda – ½ Teaspoon
Salt – ½ Teaspoon
Vanilla Extract – 1 Teaspoon
White Chocolate Chips – ¼ Cup (I used Callebaut White Chocolate Couverture)
Oreo Cookies; roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside
- In a separate bowl mix the egg yolks and sugar for about 30 seconds
- Add the honey, water, yogurt, milk, oil, and vanilla to the egg mixture and whisk
- Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and mix until fully incorporated. About a minute
- Fold chopped oreos and white chocolate chips into the batter
- Scoop batter into muffin cups and bake for 30- 35 mins (depending on your oven)
- Kick back and indulge!