I love coconut, I love almonds… I love cake! One of the reasons I do not like having flour and butter amongst other baking ingredients in the house is because my overactive mind is always thinking of what to make… but that is impossible seeing as I am a baker by profession.
As much as I love baking, I love easy baking, with minimal ingredients. All that creaming of butter and sugar is not exactly for me. At least not always. I constantly look for ways to avoid it and I have come to realize that most of the “moistest” cakes come from oil based cakes. Believe me, you do not have to use butter always!
This recipe is pretty basic but produces a lovely textured and tasty coconut cake. It is not overly sweet as I kept the sugar minimal. Flour, sugar, oil, eggs, coconut milk, desiccated coconut and chopped toasted almonds will give you this delight in 60minutes. Prep time inclusive.
I used 3/4 cup of desiccated coconut. Feel free to reduce or increase that. It all depends on how coconutty nutty you are 🙂
I used coconut milk powder because I can control the consistency (I wanted it really thick and creamy) and I do not have to think of how to store the rest as is the case with canned coconut milk. Which either gets bad after a few days or I end up making another coconut cake, or coconut bread, or coconut anything…
I love the flavour toasted nuts bring to the table, so I toasted 1/4 cup of the coconut with the almonds before I started mixing. To give enough cooling time.
Then I tossed a bit of the toasted coconut with a dash of cinnamon and sprinkled on the batter in the pan before it hit the oven… Almond-cinnamon-coconutty bliss!
I am currently having two slices with a cup of my morning coffee as I type.
Always better the next day when the flavors have been well infused.
Coconut Almond Loaf
Makes: one 9×5 Loaf
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes
Flour – 1 1/2 cups
Sugar – 2/3 cup
Egg – 2
Oil – 1/3 cup
Coconut milk – 1/2 cup *I used a sachet of coconut milk powder and 1/4 cup of water to get 1/2 cup*
Baking powder – 1 1/2 teaspoons
Desiccated coconut – 3/4 cup
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Almond – 1/4 cup; chopped
Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark
- Spread chopped almond nuts and 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut on a foil or baking paper and bake for about 5 minutes. Checking and stirring constantly to avoid burning
- Cream sugar and eggs for about 2 minutes
- Add the oil and mix until fully incorporated. About a minute
- Add the coconut milk and flavor and mix for a minute
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, desiccated coconut and chopped almonds
- Fold flour mix into the liquid mixture and mix for 2 minutes until well incorporated.
- Pour into well greased or lined pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. *Be careful not to over bake
- Let cool and slice into this moist and fluffy goodness!